Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Response to "A Rose For Emily" by William Faulkner

"A Rose For Emily" by William Faulkner, did not end how I thought it would. I thought maybe I didn't understand it right, so I read it again. I am still confused by some of the details that I think must be important. I thought for sure we(the readers) would find out in the end that she had been killing people and that they would find several dead bodies in her house, not just one. Did she kill H.B.? Why the need for Aresnic? What was the terrible smell?

Also, I love the way this story ended, "Then we noticed that in the second pillow was the indentation of a head. One of us lifted something from it, and leaned forward, that faint and invisible dust dry and acrid in the nostrils, we saw a long strand of iron-gray hair."(Falkner, pg 35)

She finally found love and she was not going to let it go. She would not even let death come between them. It was important to the story to hear that it was an "iron-gray hair" which means it was from Emily's head recently.

GROSSSSS YES! But you can understand her not wanting to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment