Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Blog 6--Response to "The Gift of the Magi"

"And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house." (O. Henry page 162)
I actually really liked this story until I read this line. I feel like they were not foolish in getting the gifts for each other. They wanted to get wonderful gifts for each other, gifts that they knew the other would absolutely love. I think in this story they put their love for the other person above themselves. They both gave up the thing they loved most to get the other something they knew they would love. This is not foolish. It is called selflessness. Even when they had nothing, they figured out a way to give a gift that showed the other their love.

No comments:

Post a Comment