Friday, August 12, 2011

Blog 20-Quote Response to Othello

Othello: She's a liar gone to burning hell!
'Twas I that killed her.
Emilia: O, the more angel she,
And you that blacker devil! (V,ii,133)

These words take place between Othello and Emilia right after Othello kills Desdemona. I feel like there are a lot of importance to these words. First, Othello fully admits to the crime. He is not trying to cover anything up. Then, Emilia is saying how wonderful Desdemona was. The words that really stick with me are "blacker devil". I can't even really say why either, but they really stick in my head. A race issue does seem to be present in this play, but not a reason for murder. Othello killed Desdemona because of festering lies, jealousy and anger. There is no reason to kill someone; he let his emotions get way out of hand. Still, I am thinker of the words "blacker devil". I wonder why?

1 comment:

  1. I think the term "blacker devil" is n reference to the evilness he possesses since he killed his wife. I don't think it's in reference to his race or it would have been done with more vulgarity is it was in th beginning.

    ReplyDelete