Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Oopsie! I skipped Blog 7 Freestyle

It is really hard to keep kids reading through the summer. Studies have show that just 5 minutes a day keeps students reading scores from dropping. This sounds like a very simple task, yet feels so hard. When my kids hear the word "summer" they do not think of cracking a book, not even for 5 minutes. We have accomplished some reading this summer but nowhere near an average of 5 minutes a day. How sad!
There are so many distractions during the summer, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I love to see kids outside playing and getting fresh air. Playing sports and having summer trips are also good for them. I think summer break is so good for kids. It's a chance for them to start fresh well rested and ready to give it their all in the Fall.
So, I guess I'm not sure what side of the issue I'm on....hahahah. I must be feeling guilty for not making my kids read more this summer. Well, we still have 20 days until school starts.

1 comment:

  1. I dont think you should feel too guilty about your kids not reading as much during the summer because trust me its better that they enjoy their summer and have fun playing outside. I mean for my nephew who is still young playing outside this summer has actually helped to make his imagination alot stronger and the stories he wants to read seem to interest him more.

    ReplyDelete